Friday, October 10, 2014

Flashback Friday

This time last year was pretty overwhelming emotionally. I found out in late August I was pregnant. We decided to wait to tell everyone until we were further along. My mom had recently moved to Tennessee and was planning on coming back in September for a visit. We were going to tell everyone during her visit so we didn't have to do it over the phone.

Well, during her visit I started bleeding. A lot. I had a miscarriage before, and was terrified I was having another one. She had no idea I was pregnant, so I couldn't confide in her, which was so incredibly hard because she's my best friend.

So, I called the doctor and they said they'd like to see me, obviously. I wasn't having cramping so that was a good sign, but there was potential that it could progress and that I could be miscarrying. I was heartbroken. I remember we were supposed to go apple picking and let everyone know. We cancelled so I could rest.

Visibly upset, I broke down and told my mom that I was pregnant, but could be miscarrying. She cried. I cried. And we waited for my appointment.

At my appointment, I got an ultrasound and the tech told me I had what was called a "subchorionic bleed" or "subchorionic hemorrhage" that they were common. It's basically a sac that forms near the placenta, and while most just disappear, there is a chance they can make the placenta to separate from the uterine wall, ending in miscarriage. Actually, most women who have them don't even know because they just disappear. That didn't happen in my case. Luckily, we got the confirmation that we were still pregnant, but I was told to take it easy until I could get another ultrasound and confirm that the bleed disappeared.

Fast forward to October of last year, and we were so fortunate to be told that everything was ok and there was no reason I shouldn't have a healthy pregnancy going forward.

This is how we told the world :)


No comments:

Post a Comment